As a creative think tank Stellenbosch has a number of bespoke book clubs and similar groups looking for spaces with the perfect ambience for discussion and debate.
“Oude Werf is in the unique position to offer small groups, like book clubs a quiet setting just off busy Church Street,” says general manager (and book club member) Elanie Fourie. “Our lounge/bar area is stylish and tranquil and we have the best baked cheesecake in town!”
Elanie, a long-time member of a book club, offers her top tips for finding the right spot:
- Look for a regular location – Once you’ve found the right spot, stick with it as it will make planning easy.
- Look for a venue that makes you feel special – As with Oude Werf hotel, you want a place that will go out of its way to accommodate you.
- Keep it affordable – look for deals, or chat to the manager about creating one for your group.
- Tell them any special requests upfront – don’t be afraid to ask for a round table or for couches or chairs to be arranged to your specifications.
- Start at the bar – Catch up with a drink before sitting down for the serious conversations.
She also lists some non-negotiables, when looking for a venue:
- Reasonable prices
- Upmarket food
- Extensive wine list
- Vibrant atmosphere
- Round tables or smallish tables that are easy to converse around
- Lounge area
- Convenient location
- Accommodating, efficient staff
For bespoke meeting spaces for small groups such as book clubs, kitchen teas or baby showers, Oude Werf is the ideal location. Plush, contemporary and intimate, you are guaranteed star treatment.